Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Space Invaders

This happened today, as a result of some amount of intentional planning of space, class structure and project guidance.


My Grade 9's arrived today, and before I had a chance to welcome them (I was finishing up the creation of a quiz on light design for Grade 7s) they had started work using and modifying the space as they required.

They are working to design a set for a classic play, from which they will perform a brief scene. There was one guiding handout given at the outset, and since then it has been very much student guided and paced.

Document here: Drama 9 Directing Project

What to notice about the picture:

a) where the couch is.
b) how the chairs are arranged
c) number of students/size of space
d) accessories in the room

Pro's:

No start-up time lost
Engaged now for over 30 minutes
Helped one student on a personal project using Google Sketch-Up (which he will be using to create his 3D stage model

Cons:

I don't feel needed.
I have to be available, but want to get other design work done.
I'm discovering how superficial my needs as a teacher are...

The hard part now is to know when to engage a group, and when to let them "go".

No comments:

Post a Comment